Large capacity gas sample bags required for a large scale VOC testing project.
We have recently supplied Tedlar® bags for VOC testing of in-cabin automotive components. These needed to be tested for volatile organic compounds (VOC's) and carbonyl traces at elevated temperatures.
The customers wish list was:
- A large capacity gas sample bag suitable for VOC testing.
- The gas sample bag needed to be open on three sides, so the components to be tested could easily be inserted.
- The customer needed the ability to seal the gas sample bag once the components were inside.
- The gas sample bag needed to large enough and robust enough for re-use.
- The gas sample bag needed to be suitable for temperature cycling.
The design of the bag, material choice, orientation of the PTFE connectors and the closure mechanism was decided between Adtech and the customer, to ensure the sample bag was easy to handle and that only minimal stress was applied to the bag around the connectors, as the sample was to be taken.
It was agreed that Tedlar® film in 50 micron would be the best choice for this application as the film is robust, has a working temperature range of -70 °C to +107 °C and is already widely used for testing of VOC's.
Tedlar® film contains no plasticisers so it has excellent aging properties and remains tough and flexible over a broad temperature range.
Using our specialist welding equipment, which has been designed to weld long lengths of material, we were able to weld several sections of 50 micron Tedlar® film into large sheets. Which enabled us to produce Tedlar® gas sample bags that measured 2500mm x 2500mm.
Due to it's inertness FEP tubing was selected for transferring the sample from the large gas sample bag into smaller capacity Tedlar® gas bags, so that the sample could be transported for testing.